Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 17, 2011

Baked Potato Chips

My dad is an Irish man, and so one thing that he LOVES is potatoes! I'm pretty sure if it were up to him EVERY meal would have potatoes of some form with it. My mom is pretty good with rotating what our sides are, but one thing I do remember her making a lot are homemade Frenchfries. Now what does this have to do with potato chips you ask? Well, recently I realized that I needed to use up a few left over potatoes, but had no idea what to make. I was going to make french fries, but then decided last minute, why not chips?! My mom has made homemade potato chips before, and they alway tasted delicious, so why don't I try my own recipe? Thus, my baked potato chips came to be! They're pretty simple to make and you can zest them up however you'd like!

Ingredients
potatoes
salt
cooking spray
((as i said nice and simple))

Assembly
Preheat oven to about 400 degrees. Wash and peel the potatoes, I used two good sized potatoes when I made these. After you're done peeling your first potato, make sure to soak it in cold water while you peel the other(s) so that it doesn't start to brown. When both potatoes are peeled, slice them into thin sections. Be careful not to cut yourself! Or if you desire thicker chips just cut them a bit thicker (mine sort of varied in thickness since I didn't have a very sharp knife so it was hard to cut properly). You can try using a potato peeler for thinner chips. Once the slices are cut, spray two cookie sheets with the cooking spray and spread out the slices evenly so that they do not overlap. Season the chips with whatever mixture of seasoning you'd like or just salt them. I seasoned them with a mixture of garlic salt, pepper, and grill spices for a bit of a zing to them. Put the chips in the oven and cook about 5 mins and check to make sure they aren't burning. Flip the chips and cook the other side about equal length. The chips will be crispy and browned when done (some may be done before others). If you'd like to finish them salt them once more and serve!

Final Thoughts
As a precaution with the chips, keep a close eye on them again to make sure they don't burn, and don't be afraid to turn them to try and cook them evenly. Cooking times may vary depending on the oven. My chips didn't turn out perfect the first time around, but they were still tasty! Trial and error I like to say haha. So a quick and simple recipe for baked potato chips, which you can also apply for making baked fries! So hope you enjoy! Happy eats! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment