Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 31, 2011

Chicken and Steak Fajitas and Strawberry Margarita

Who doesn't like a little bit of good mexican food now and then? it was always a quick and delicious meal when we had texmex food. Of course nothing compared to authentic mexican cuisine, but hey it was still quite tasty our creations! I remember my mom's tacos, taco salads, and fajitas best. We never had all three at once, but when we had any of the three it was sure to be a fun night. 
Recently I had the urge to make something new and different. I'd seen my mom make tacos and such before and have made them plenty of times myself, but I was short a few ingredients. Mainly the taco meat. But, I did have some left over steak and plenty of chicken tenderloins. So, I figured why not create some texmex fajitas of my own? And why not add a refreshing strawberry margarita to go with it! Thus my Fajitas came to be...

Ingredients
Steak
Chicken 
Lemon or Lime juice 
Olive Oil
Salt
Garlic
JalapeƱos (or green chili peppers) 
Onion
Bell Peppers
Tequilla (opt)

Assembly
Start with the marinade for the steak and chicken (also make sure you defrost both before you marinade them haha). I marinaded them in ziploc bags but you can also marinade them in bowls. For the marinade mix juice from 1 lime a couple tablespoons olive oil, a little garlic powder (can use garlic cloves too), 1/2 fresh jalapeno (seeded, deribed and finely chopped), or you can add about half a small can of green chili peppers diced, and a shot of tequilla (opt). Mix the marinade together and then place the meat in coating it well. Let it marinade at room temperature for about an hour, or if you'd like it to marinade a bit longer put it in the fridge. 

While the meat is marinading I like to prepare the veggies for the fajitas so they are readily available. Peel the onion and cut it with the grain into strips. Likewise seed and derib the bell peppers and cut into strips as well. I put them veggies in the fridge until I need them. 

When the meat is done marinading wipe off the marinade and sprinkle with salt. To cook the meat, prepare a large skillet with some olive oil (enough to coat the bottom) and warm it for about a minute on high heat. Add a shot of tequilla for a bit more flavor and start to cook your meat. I generally cook the steak first and then the chicken. Steak cook until your preference (I prefer medium rare), and chicken make sure it is completely cooked through. When the meats are done cooking, place them on a sheet of tin-foil and tent the tin foil while you prepare the veggies. 

Add a bit more oil to the pan if needed and add the onions and peppers. Let them sear for about 1 min before you start to stir them. Then stir frequently for about 4 more minutes. They'll have a nice grilled/charred look to them. 

Preparation
When everything is cooked, you can begin preparation. With a serrated knife, cut the steak into thin slices (cutting at an angle helps cut the steak thin). The chicken you can cut into strips. If it falls apart a bit that's fine. Warm up your tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds and serve. I topped my fajita with a layer of sourcream for a base, layer of meat, layer of the veggies, lettuce, taco sauce, ranch, and finished with shredded cheddar. 

Drink
For the frozen margarita you need tequilla, margarita mix, sugar, lime, crushed ice, and fresh strawberries. 

To prepare rub the rim of your glass with the lime and dip into the sugar and set aside. Making sure the ice is crushed, add that to the blender along with 1-2 shots of tequilla (depending on how strong you want it), about 3/8 cup of margarita mix, and a hand full of fresh strawberries. Please note that these are the quantities for one serving so you can adjust the sizes as needed. Blend these together until smooth and serve. I used Jose Cuervo Gold tequilla for my margaritas, but you can use whatever you prefer. 

Final Thoughts
This may seem complicated but really it's not that bad and is quite tasty! The left overs are delicious too. I suggest making a fajita salad with whatever left overs you have. Just have a bed of lettuce, add the fajita mixture, and top with a layer of crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, guacamole (if wanted), and ranch dressing! Or however you'd like to jazz it up of course! Tastes great and is fun to make! Hope you enjoy! Happy eats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment