Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 28, 2011

Quick n Simple Dip

Whenever we have guests over at our house for dinner or lunch, we always offer them drinks and some snacks before the main meal. Maybe it's just us, but it just seems normal and polite for me to ask 'do you want something to eat while you wait'. If they say no it's fine but we'll usually still have something quick we can put out if they change their mind. One thing that was always nice to have on hand were dips. Who doesn't enjoy a nice dipping sauce for veggies, chips, pretzles, or some other small bite sized items? Usually my mom would just whip up something from a premade mix, or dish out the stuff they serve prepared already in the containers. I was happy with that.
However, one day I found myself craving a quick snack but we really didn't have anything much to eat, and there were no dip mixes left for me to put together. Hungry, I hunted around and gathered up a few ingredients. My mom has made quick dips from scratch before, so why couldn't I? It couldn't be that hard right? Really it wasn't, mostly a trial and error thing, but I eventually created my own quick dip (well originally I'd intended to make something thicker that I could spread onto some crackers, but again trial and error haha) So this is an original recipe of mine for a quick n simple dip or spread. You can jazz it up however you'd like but i'll give you the simple version!

Ingredients
Sour cream
Cream cheese
Hot sauce
Taco sauce (opt)
Shredded cheese (your choice)
Honey
Cyanne (opt)

Assembly
As I said an odd mix of things but tastes good. To start you need a small bowl or dish to mix the ingredients in. I have a very handy miniature bowl that one of my ex boyfriends had made for me and it works pretty good. Start with a base of cream cheese. Depending on how much or little you want will determine how much cream cheese you will use. Sprinkle some of your shredded cheese of choice on top and sort of mix it slightly together. Put the creamcheese/cheese mixture in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften the creamcheese and start to melt the cheese. With a spoon mix the cheese/creamcheese together a bit so that it's broken up more. Next add about 2-3 teaspoons of sour cream to the mixture, about a teaspoon or so of hot sauce, and a squirt of honey for sweetness. Mix this all together until well blended and smooth. Serve with your choice of crackers or pretzles.

Final Thoughts
Again, this recipe is really simple and really easily adaptable for tastes. If you want a real zing to it and like spicy dips try adding some hot taco sauce and a pinch of cayanne pepper into the mixture for that extra spice. Or if you like it more on the sweeter side add a bit more honey and a touch of brown sugar or plain sugar. Mix it up and jazz it up to your hearts content (just test it first to make sure you don't over do it haha). You can even serve it warm my adding a finishing layer of cheese on top and microwaving until cheese melts!My favorite way to eat this is spread onto a cracker with a slice of salami on top!Again this is still a work in progress for me but it's always fun to mix and match. So have fun and hope you enjoy! Happy eats! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment