Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

November 01, 2011

Shrimp Alfredo

I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of this one, but I decided to try another homemade feat based off recipes I found online. I still had leftover shrimp from my shrimp and rice so I defrosted it and decided...well ya know what else tastes great with shrimp? A good Alfredo! So, I hunted down what was in a homemade alfredo sauce and modified it to my own needs. So here is the result of my tasty creation. I added a little spice to it since we all know I enjoy a good spice!


Ingredients
Shrimp (defrosted, detailed, deveined. I usually buy it already detailed/deveined)
Pasta of choice (I used spaghetti noodles)
about 1/4 of a bell pepper diced (I used a sweet orange pepper but you can use green, yellow, red, whatever you have on hand)
1 tomato (diced)
Olive oil
Cayanne
Chilli powder
Lemon juice
Salt/pepper
Milk
Shredded Parmasean cheese
Shredded Romano cheese (I actually used an italian blend cheese that had romano in it)
Butter (optional)
Flour (optional)

Assembly
I started by marinating the shrimp in a mixture of olive oil (enough to coat the shrimp), cayanne, salt, chilli powder, and a squirt of lemon juice. Toss the shrimp in the mixture until they are well coated and set them aside to marinade a few minutes. After that's done I started cooking my noodles. Cook the noodles so that they are al dente, drain, wash in warm water, and return to the pot. A few minutes before the pasta was done I started cooking the shrimp. In a medium sized frying pan on medium-high heat cook the shrimp and marinade mix, diced pepper, and diced tomato. You should have liquid in the bottom of the pan, that's okay keep it there. You'll use it for the alfredo sauce. Cook this together until the shrimp are cooked and then add the shrimp/pepper/tomato to the pot of pasta leaving the juices in the pan.

To make the alfredo sauce turn the heat down to about medium-low and add about 1/4 cup milk, hand full of parmesean and romano (or in my case italian blend) cheese, about 1 tbsp butter, and some cayanne pepper. Simmer the mixture together until it has the consistancy you'd like. If you want a thicker sauce add some flour until it's thick enough to your liking. Again I eyeball a lot of things so the amounts will vary depending on taste. I always test out the sauce to make sure it's to my liking. When it is to your liking simply add the sauce to the pot of pasta/shrimp/tomato/pepper and mix it together.

Serve with a topping of extra parmasean or some pepper!

Final Thoughts
This turned out better than I thought, and the cayanne really added the kick that I love so much! This would taste great with chicken as well if you aren't a shrimp fan or can't have shrimp! Mix and match and create your own alfredo sauce variant! That is the beauty of cooking! And if you have a disaster...well...it happens! That's how you learn what to do and what not to do! (I've had my fare share already haha) Well, I hope you enjoy! Happy Eats!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment