Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

October 12, 2012

Meatloaf for the Soul


So with the coming of fall weather I'm seeking new recipes that I grew up with! On my way home from work today I had my usual call to talk to my parents on the long ride. Watching the fall leaves in the mountains and the cooling weather I've just had a craving for warm, filling, foods. One that came to mind right away...my mom's meatloaf! Not only did she make it the 'loaf' way, but I always loved her 'individual' sized meatloafs for on the go! May sound strange, but my mom's meatloaf...there was just somethign about it on a nice fall day! It was a quick, simple meal that filled me up right quick! So of course I had to get the recipe from her so I could pick up the ingredients for dinner tonight! So here it is, my mom's meatloaf!

~~

Ingredients
1 package ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 onion (finely diced)
breadcrumbs (handfull)
worcestershire sauce (few shakes)
salt/pepper (for taste)
ketchup
bbq sauce (opt)
minced garlic (opt)
bacon (one strip for individual loaf or enough to cover top)

Assembly
Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees (depending on your oven). Cover cookie sheet with piece of aluminum foil and set aside. In a medium sized bowl combine ground turkey, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, worcestershire sauce, salt/pepper, garlic, and few squirts of ketchup and bbq sauce. I mixed this together with my bare hands (make sure to wash hands!!). When well mixed shape your meatloaf on the cookie sheet! You can make one large loaf or (my fav way) individual loafs (1 package ground turkey makes about 5 individual loafs). After loafs are formed top each with a covering of ketchup and then finish with a strip of bacon crossed on top! Pop in the oven for about 35-40 mins and enjoy.

Final Thoughts
As you can see i coupled my meatloaf with some green beans (and the blank spot is for my potato which is still cooking haha). A great meal that's quick and simple and delicious! Experiment and enjoy! Happy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment