Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

January 21, 2014

Chicken Quesadillas

As you can tell from a lot of my dishes, I have a thing for chicken! My mom has always been a fan of chicken so it's what I'm used to cooking. My dad has never been a big chicken fan, but even he can't pass up some good Mexican food. My boyfriend, who is a picky eater, even enjoys this recipe! He often times will request that I make my chicken quesadillas for dinner! Quick finger food that will fill you up and leave you wanting more! The nice thing is that you can mix, match, and personalize your quesadillas your way, but here is my basic chicken recipe.

~~

Ingredients
Breast Tenderloins (I generally buy 1-2 packs of them depending on how many quesadillas I'm looking to make. Generally 1 pack will get me about 8-10 quesadillas)
3/4 Onion (diced)
3/4 Bell Pepper (diced)
Jalepenos (optional)
Shredded cheese (I generally use either a mexican blend or a cheddar)
1 pack of tortillas (I use the burrito size but you can use whatever size you'd like)
1 pack of fajita mix

Assembly
Dice the boneless tenderloins into cube size about 1" or less and then use most of the pack of the fajita mix to coat the diced chicken. Keep some of the fajita mix to season the veggies. I generally just mix the chicken in a ziploc bag. Spread the seasoned chicken cubes onto a cookie sheet or a glass pan and place in the oven. Broil on high until the meat is cooked through. Take meat out and set aside. In a medium frying pan sautee bell pepper and onion adding the remaining fajita mix for some flavor. You may also add your jalepenos for a little spice at this point. Add the meat to the mixture and cook for another 2-3 mins or until everything is well incorporated.

To make the fajitas you can do it one of two ways. You can heat up a skillet and cook the fajitas one at a time, or you can make a cookie sheet full and bake them.

Cooked in Skillet: spray the skillet with some cooking spray and place on stovetop at medium heat. Lay a tortilla flat on the skillet and add a layer of the meat mixture to half the tortilla, then top with the cheese. Fold over the tortilla to make the quesadilla and cook until browned on one side. Carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook the other side until browned. Set the cooked quesadilla aside to cool down then cut into 3 sections or keep whole if you desire.

Cooked in Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet and assemble your quesadillas until the sheet is full (i generally get about 6-8 on a large sheet). Spray the top with cooking spray and place in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool then cut into 3 sections if desired.

Serve on a platter or in a bowl and enjoy! 

Final Thoughts
I generally get a small saucer of ranch sauce to dip in, but you can use salsa or anything else you'd like. Add a dollop of sour cream on top and serve with a salad, or if you cut it into 3 slices you have a nice finger food! Get creative and make your own quesadillas. I actually adapted this recipe from a simple cheese quesadilla I would make for my mom and dad. I've even used beef! So let your imagination go wild with this. If you're REALLY feeling quesadilla dinner you can also add my dessert queasilla for a sweet after dinner dish! Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment