Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 13, 2011

From Mother to Daughter: Beef and Noodles

Everyone likes a classic, so why not a good old hearty meal that is delicious in fall! This one is straight from my mom's very own cookbook. As she states in her entry for the dish, its perfect to prepare in a hurry. She would usually make this for my brother or me between sports practices or before games. A quick favorite, even for my brother who isn't a big meat eater. He LOVES this dish.


Ingredients
3/4 lb homemade noodles in a bag (i generally just use egg noodles)
1 can beef broth
1 small onion (diced)
3/4 lb sirloin cut into 1 in cubes
1 small can beef gravy (can use fat free)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (my mom generally uses reduced fat version)

Assembly


Bring the can of been broth plus enough water to cook the noodles to a boil. Add the noodles and cook about 20-25 mins. While the noodles cook you can start to prepare the beef part of the noodles. =D

Spray a large frying pan with non-stick spray and brown the sirloin cubes on med-high until cooked on all sides. Add the diced onion and cook with the meat about 1 more min. Drain any fat and add soup and gravy to the pan. Mix this well and bring to a low boil. Once at a low boil lower heat and simmer while noodles finish cooking.

Once noodles are done drain them and serve the beef mixture over the noodles.

Notes
if the gravy is too thin, dissolve 1 to 2 tbsp cornstarch in 1/8 cup of cold water and slowly add it to the simmering beef and gravy. Bring to a gentle boil and cook 1-2 mins more.

Final Thoughts
This is a quick and simple dish, and was actually the first dish that I made when I moved into my apartment. Leftovers taste just as delicious too! Make it with a side of blueberry muffins and broccoli and it's a tasty meal. Always makes me think of fall sports as my parents chaffered my brother and me to our practices or games. Hope you enjoy! Happy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment