Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 13, 2011

Simple Stirfry

Well this is actually more of my own creation. Being of Asian ethnicity, my mom always tried to make a little something for everyone. My dad got his meat and potatoes, my mom tended to go more for the healthy foods and greek foods, and for my brother and me it was the americanized Asian cuisine. Such as the stirfry. If this seems confusing to you it's quite simple. My mom is 100% Greek, my father is mostly Irish but a mixture of other things, and my brother and I were adopted from Korea when we were young (no blood relation). We're a happy family, and we get a nice range of ethnic foods.
I remember when I was in my early years of college one of the things my mom and I used to do a lot when I was home was just scrounge together and make sauces and such for dishes we knew well. One such sauce we liked to mix was a stir fry sauce. Unfortunately neither of us can quite remember what we used for it, but the second closest thing we've come across is the pre-made stirfry sauce you can find in the ethnic section of the grocery store, and so we use that instead. If I can ever replicate that sauce I will be sure to share, but you can also try to come up with your own too. For the sake of this recipe, I used the bottled stirfry sauce from the grocery section.

Ingredients
1 small onion (diced)
1 small broccoli floret
1 green pepper (can substitute or add red pepper or yellow pepper if you wish)
~ 3/4 lb choice of meat (I generally use beef but you can use chicken or even shrimp if you wish)
1 small can water chestnuts (optional)
~8 oz snowpeas (optional)
white rice
stir fry sauce

Assembly
I generally make sure that I have all my ingredients prepared first via having my onion diced, my broccoli washed and cut into smaller pieces, the pepper(s) should be washed and cut into strips. Once that is finished heat about 1 tbsp of stirfry sauce in frying pan. Add beef strips into the frying pan and brown them. Add the diced onion and cook until onions are translucent. Lower heat a little and add in the broccoli, pepper, water chestnuts, and snowpeas and cook a few minutes to warm through. Add more of the stirfry sauce (to your liking) until you have a nice coat on the stirfry. Stir together and simmer on very low. While that simmers I generally get a box of instant white rice and cook it in the microwave. If you prefer it on the stove, I suggest making it as you're browning the meat. After rice is cooked, turn off stove and serve immediately. You can also use sweet and sour sauce instead of stirfry sauce (or any other number of different sauces. I generally get house of Tsang sauces).

Final Thoughts
It's quick and simple, and tastes amazing! You can add more ingredients if you wish, I've added cabbage and carrots before too. Just get creative with it. This stores well in the fridge too and just re-heat it in the microwave and it's fantastic! I made this recently for a class picnic and it was a BIG hit. You can make a veggie version or even use tofu! Simple and uses fresh ingredients so it's still healthy for you, but you can use frozen stirfry veggies if you're in a real hurry! Have fun! Hope you enjoy! Happy eats! =D

1 comment:

  1. Your simple stir fry recipe was help me to make my own stir fried chicken. Thanks for sharing it here and I'm sure that many people will cook this recipe perfectly.

    ReplyDelete