Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 13, 2011

Summer Time Cucumber and Tomato Salad!


Sorry for the low picture quality, but I lack an actual camera and all that fancy stuff so I just use my good ol webcam! That aside...

Growing up I was subject to a wide variety of foods, some I liked and others I didn't. However, I have always been one to like healthy snacks. My mom would make us sliced apples and cheese, or crackers with some sort of dip. Either way, I've always been one to love fruits and veggies. One thing I always tell my mom is that I miss our garden! When we used to live in Michigan, we had a small backyard, but in the corner my mom had a vegetable and sunflower garden, so we always had fresh veggies.
One of my favorites was tomatoes, particularly cheery tomatoes. To this day my mom still grows tomatoes in our backyard and whomever goes to pick the fresh ones usually takes their pick of the cheery tomatoes to munch on while they worked. One of the recipes my mom likes to make, especially in the summer, is her cucumber tomato salad. My dad isn't a huge fan of it (it is healthy after all) but my mom and I LOVE it. It's simple, stores well in the fridge, makes a wonderful snack or side dish, and is healthy for you!

Ingredients
2 large tomatoes (or enough cherry tomatoes to your liking)
1 cucumber
2 chives
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Sugar

Assembly
Wash tomatoes and cucumber. Cut the tomato into chunks (or if using cherry tomatoes cut them in halves), and peel and cut cucumber into half slices as well. Dice up chives and add to bowl. Mix the ingredients together into a medium bowl (you can add as much or as little tomato/cucumber mix as you please). For the dressing to go over the salad add Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing; drizzle equal parts of olive oil and red wine vinegar, top with a little sugar and mix it all together until well blended. Make sure to store the salad in the fridge until you serve it! =D

Final Thoughts
As I said, it's a quick and simple salad and QUITE delicious! The dressing can be played with as you please too! That's just the mixture that works best for my mom and myself. On a hot day, having some cool cucumber/tomato salad with a glass of lemonade or milk just hits the spot sometimes for a good snack! Or, you can do what I have recently done and use the salad as a side dish.


Perfect side for a summer dish! Hope you enjoy! Happy eats! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment