Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 13, 2011

A Classic: Meatballs and Spaghetti

A classic dish that most people have had in their lives. Everyone seems to make it a bit different. Meatballs are always good, and I remember always loving the smell of them when my mom cooked them. We'd always have enough for dishes such as the classic Spaghetti and meatballs, or delicious meatball subs! Yum! Either way meatballs are fun, yummy, and easy to make! I actually found a quick recipe from online as I couldn't remember what all my mom put in the meatballs, but I did adapt it! So here is my take on homemade meatballs for a spaghetti dinner! Just be sure not to be afraid to get a little dirty and hands on because I mix the meatballs with my hands! =D


Ingredients
1 package ground turkey
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (can be italian seasoned to save time if you'd like)
italian seasoning
1 egg (beaten)
ground black pepper
garlic salt
mozzarella cheese (opt)
Parmesan cheese (opt)
spaghetti noodles
1 jar spaghetti sauce

Assembly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (or grease with some olive oil) and place in the oven while it preheats. To prepare the meatballs, in a medium bowl mix the ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, italian seasoning, ground black pepper, and garlic salt to your liking (I eyeball a lot so I can't give exact. Probably about a few tsps of each though, enough for a good coating when mixing). If you'd like you can also add in about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Mix together using your hands until it is well blended. Mold the meat into about golf-ball sized meatballs. Place them on the cookie sheet pressing lightly so they flatten a bit and dont' roll while cooking. Cook about 15 mins and then turn over and cook for another 5 mins or so. Meatballs will be nicely browned.

While those are cooking you can prepare the noodles per directions on the box. Make sure to prepare as much as you need. When meatballs are done take them out of the oven and store them in a small bowl. To prepare the sauce I just pour about 2/3 of a jar into a pot and add some of the meatballs, stirring together until well blended and warmed through. Top the spaghetti with the meatballs and sauce and add a nice sprinkling of Parmesan cheese!

Final Thoughts
There you have it! Simple meatballs for a nice spaghetti dinner! If you're curious as to what else in on my dinner plate, I have some of my delicious cucumber and tomato salad in the glass bowl, and some glazed apples. Finish it off with a nice glass of wine and you have yourself a lovely dinner! Well I hope you enjoy! Happy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment