Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

May 13, 2011

A Yummy Dessert Quesadilla

Dessert was always my favorite part of dinner. So many tasty treats to have, who doesn't like dessert?! Well, one place that my mom likes to get recipe ideas is from the all too familiar Food Network channel. If my dad isn't watching CNN or the Sports Channel, my mom has control of the tv. More times than not the food network is on giving her some good recipe ideas. My dad isn't a big fan of the channel, but he most certainly is a fan of what my mom and I make from the channel!
Well, it just so happens that recently one of the recipes we saw was for a lovely dessert quesadilla. Now what is that? Well I wondered the same thing so we sat down to watch. So this recipe is from Paula Dean, and I thank her for it! It is quite delicious and a perfect end to a wonderful dinner! I modified it for my tastes easily enough as well. So this is my version of the recipe!

Ingredients
cooking spray
2 tortilla's
1 banana
3-4 strawberries
3 tablespoons brown sugar
cinnamon
about 1/8 cup of white chocolate chips
about 1/8 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Prep
Peel banana and slice it into thin slices. Similarly wash the strawberries and slice them into thin slices of about equal size. I measured out the sugar and chocolate chips ahead of time as well.

Assembly
Spray 1 side of a tortilla and place it in the bottom of a large frying pan. Place the banana and strawberry slices evenly on the tortilla and spread the chocolate chips on top evenly as well. Add most of the brown sugar evenly as well (leave a little to the side to be sprinkled on top of the dessert). Add the cinnamon layer, and top with the second tortilla. Spray the top of the tortilla with the cooking spray and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Heat the quesadilla about 1 min and flip over. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on the other side once more and sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar on top. Cook about 2 more minutes until the chocolate is melted and the fruit is warmed through.

Final Thoughts
Serve it on a plate and cut it into wedges. Paula Dean mentioned adding a scoop of vanilla icecream and caramel sauce to finish it off, but it tastes delicious all by itself! I had to go share this with my friend when I'd finished making it and she can attest that it is quite good! Try experimenting with different fruit mixtures that you enjoy with chocolate. Paula's only called for banana's but I jazzed mine up with strawberries and banana's. Also used two types of chocolate instead of one. A quick dessert and quite good on a rainy spring day (as it is today haha). As a side note...I used burrito sized tortillas, and they were a bit big, so I'll probably use something a bit smaller next time. It's doable, but my pan was a little too small! Fruit was flying out as I was flipping them  haha. Hope you enjoy! Happy eats! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment