Blog This Blog That...A Short Introduction

A Little Hello
Time to get started, I suppose. First off, this probably won't be a daily blog style, more of a post as I can due to my schedule, but hopefully it'll give you a nice taste of the meals and desserts I've happily grown up with. As well as learning the ropes of how to work the blog...Be on the lookout as I'm sure formatting will continue to change.I hope to use this as a place to share some good recipes with others and learn to improve upon my own cooking skills! After all, the best way to learn is by doing, correct? As an Occupational Therapist I will say, it is important to engage in occupations that we find interesting and meaningful to help improve our everyday quality of life! It just so happens, for me, I am interested in cooking/baking, and writing (So kill two birds with one stone here!). With that all said, I welcome you here, and hope you can find a recipe or two that you throughly enjoy (and can put your own spin on). Happy food hunting :)

October 19, 2011

BBQ Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing


If there's one thing I've noticed in my family, it seems that one of the staple foods at my house has always been chicken. Granted my father isn't a big chicken fan, it seems he's slowly starting to enjoy it a little bit more. Chicken is healthy for you, and can be prepared in many different ways! Between my mom and myself, I don't think we could ever really get tired of chicken! So, on my own I was looking at the chicken and my ingredients and wondering what I could do that was different from my usual meals. Well, I had some BBQ dry rub my mom had made for me, some BBQ sauce, fresh tomatoes, and lettuce that needed to be used. So...I thought why not make a delicious salad! Better yet, a delicious salad with some homemade dressing! Thus my BBQ chicken and honey mustard salad came about!


Ingredients
Chicken
1 chicken breast
brown sugar
chili powder
garlic
cayenne
salt
pepper
cinnamon
BBQ sauce

Salad
Lettuce
1 fresh tomato sliced
cranberries (opt)

Dressing
rice wine vinegar
mustard
honey

Assembly
First to prepare the chicken create the dry rub. Either in  plastic bag or on a paper plate mix brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, and cinnamon until well blended. Mix enough for individual liking. Coat the chicken breast in the dry rub and cook in a frying pan on medium-high heat until no longer pink when cut into. When cooked, add the BBQ sauce and continue cooking until slightly charred. Remove chicken from heat and cut into strips (be careful as the chicken will be hot!). Set the strips aside. To create the dressing in a small dish add 2-3 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp mustard, and couple squirts honey and whisk together until well blended. I sort of eye ball the mixture and test it to make sure it's the consistency I like (I like it sweet with a nice kick to it from the mustard, so experiment to your liking). To assemble the salad lay down your bed of lettuce then add sliced tomato, cranberries, and top with the bbq chicken strips. Then the finish touch is to pour the homemade honey mustard dressing to finish it off.

Final Thoughts
It's a quick, simple, and healthy meal that tastes delicious! I sort of mix and match ingredients depending on what I have available and you can experiment with the dressing. Or if you don't feel like making the dressing top the salad with your favorite store bought dressing! Either way it's a tasty meal! So happy eats! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing!!! :) I have come to expect that of your cooking.

    ReplyDelete